Pages

2018 Highlights

This time last year, we were in the cold & not-so-snowy Prague waiting for our baby girl to be born.
2018 is definitely a year to remember. So here i am, typing this annual blog to capture some of the highlights so I can look back every now and then.
(Previous highlights: 2013, 2014, 2017)

#DudeToDad

Wow, has it really been nearly a year with a baby? Deedee is almost 1!
Me & HH often look at each others and wonder where this little muffin comes from and how it all happened!
Life with a little baby is hard work and also rewarding at the same time.
I don't know how HH (or any mothers in the world) can dedicate oneself, day and night, taking care of a baby unconditionally and still staying sane.
From my part, I think parenthood is about accepting changes, solving problems together and most importantly, enjoy every little moments no matter how difficult it gets. For example, changing diaper is easy, powering through the sick days is hard.

What is my favourite activity with Deedee?
Bath time!

What is my least favourite activity with Deedee?
brushing her teeth & changing poop-diapers

Has I ever 'lose' myself while looking after Deedee?
Yes, but not a lot of you know that i'm a hot-head person, so... several times to be honest.
But I'm aware of this, of me when I am at my worst self, I'd flee the scene, left the house to cool down and try my best not to affect HH & baby.

What is your parenting motto?
To have fun raising Deedee without the unnecessary stress!

I get a lot of "what is it like being a father". To be honest, it feel like you are doing the impossible, and it's great. There will be only one advise I'd like give to new dads-to-be: "you'll never be ready so you'd just better off do it anyway and enjoy it"



 



#StartABusiness

I'd like to share with you my new venture with Khô Mực Studio - a small print studio specialized in risograph, a printing technique invented by the Japanese which uses stencil-based printing process (like screen-printing) and soy-based inks that give the final outcomes beautiful bright colours.
Riso machines are not new in Vietnam but never get to serve as creative solutions disregards of its unique aesthetic allowing beautiful colour overlays.
My goal for the following years is to engage with local artists and offer them not just another printing options but to help exploring new possibilities of print and colour that differ from standard printings.
I'm thankful to be embarking on this journey with my crazy partners - Long, chị H.A, Vinh, and crazier staff - Kai.
Our open studio welcomes all guests, especially the ones who bring us food. So if you are in the neighbourhood of Thao Dien, come and say hi!
Khô Mực Studio, 1F, 4 Lê Văn Miến, Thảo Điền, D.2






#TravelGram

Travel? Still? with a baby? Yes please, why the hell not.
We scooped her up on flight with us to Thailand since she was 6-month-old and she did great! Eat, sleep, enjoy the sightseeings with us on a tuk-tuk too. So it has been very casual of us with Deedee tagging along everywhere we goes.














This year, the travel destination we finally get to cross off our bucket list is Korea.
We spent a total 5 days in Seoul and enjoyed the cold autumn breeze.
This is one of the first long travel flights for Deedee but she made it so easy. #ilovemydaughter
Seoul is not to big, we did visited all on our list but I feel like there are still so much to see.
During this trip, we got to has a mini university reunion with my 'oppa' Sid & my 'nuna' Q. I think I did made Sid proud as we drank 7 bottles of soju til 2am and got black out on the cab back to my hotel. Some keywords I still remember from our conversation: yoga teacher, Kpop, salanghae, Korean swear words... What a night!

 






Now, Deedee know a whole lot more, she's able to express her likes and dislikes but the little miss lady doesn't know how to speak yet... a.k.a she will scream to stress what she want and me and HH has to guess!

#SimonPhanTatts

New year. New me. New Tatts.
And I got this masterpiece from Manh Huynh, my all-time favourite Vietnam tattoo artist.
The first coloured tattoo and also, the biggest. My left arm is happily full-sleeve-looking after 5 years since my first tattoo.



#BeATouristInYourCity

It'd be a highlight when I get to show my fellow friends around, most likely I'd take them to District 5 and walk along the hood that I grew up. I love being a tourist in my city, you know, a casual hour-long walk anywhere in Saigon can make me so happy.
Colour, signage, architecture, the locals, the tourists, street vendors, an old abandon colonial house, patterns in daily life, things that only visible when you slow down.











#BFF

One of the good news is that Bao Linh & Tu has recently relocated from London to Saigon, so we get to hang with them a whole lot more! Not to mention before the big move, they went with the insane idea of travelling the world, we are eager to hear their stories & experiences!



#WeddingBells ringing for so many our friends this year. Big congrats to
Marcus & Skye
Izzy & Tim
Sophia & Eugene
Noa & Sylvain
Linh & Jo
Rach & Luis
and yes to Bao Linh & Tu too.

#DesignerLife

Earlier this year, I got a chance to share some thoughts about Design with university students, along side with anh Sith & chị Khải Đơn. That was cool!





#UncleDuy

To end this year with the most amazing news, my sister is having her 2nd baby! How exciting! We can't wait to welcome the new little baby this coming Spring!





Can't believe how Deedee just casually appear in all pictures! I feel like this is "her highlight post"... But yes, 2018 - 1st year of parenthood is done! More ups than downs and I pretty sure we did okay! Let's slay 2019! This time, I'd like to put focus back to our little stationary brand 'OHQUAO', more new designs, perhaps a store? We'll see.
Happy New Year everyone!
Lots of love
Simon, Hoa & bébé Deedee





Simon Phan

Cung Sư Tử | Thiết Kế Dạo | Thích Du Lịch | Email: simondphan@gmail.com Còn trẻ, khoẻ, vui vẻ và hạnh phúc. Sinh sống và làm việc ở Sài Gòn, người ta nói đã từng là hòn ngọc viễn đông nhưng tự nghĩ chắc vẫn ngấm ngầm toả sáng chứ đâu phải 'đã từng'. Ở hiện tại, nghĩ về tương lai và ít khi nào tiếc nối quá khứ.